[Histonet] frozen sections

Weems, Joyce JWEEMS <@t> sjha.org
Wed Oct 17 08:08:37 CDT 2007

I never used it for fluorescence, so I don't know! Sounds like that might be a problem for you. I used it for muscles and would freeze them on the chuck. I rolled the tissue in the powder and thickened the OCT with it. They stood on end for freezing and I was never aware of any problem caused by the talc.

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
404-851-7376 - Phone
404-851-7831 - Fax

-----Original Message-----
From: Sharon Bledsoe [mailto:sbledsoe <@t> iupui.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 8:33 AM
To: Weems, Joyce; Atoska Gentry; Histonet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] frozen sections

Joyce,

How does the baby powder effect your sample if you have to use
birefringence?  Talc polarizes, I have to be careful and use
non-powdered gloves when I section many of our animal tissue as we
are looking for crystals that are identified by birefringence.

Do you note on the slide that you have an additive  on a frozen section?

Sharon Bledsoe