[Histonet] CRYOSTAT TROUBLESHOOTING

Paul Bradbury histology.bc <@t> shaw.ca
Thu Oct 11 17:59:34 CDT 2007

I have just spent the last few hours doing frozen sections on a number
of clinical skin specimens using the procedure that Stephen is talking
about. I have been using this approach for well over a year and I love
it!! It solves most of the problems routinely associated with doing
frozens on skin.The quality of the sections is great, the orientation is
quick and easy, and the overall time required is less.
Stephen has obviously put a lot of thought and experience into the
development of this system ... and it shows. When I first saw the video
clip on his web site, I was was skeptical and thought it all looked too
easy. I was wrong; it really is that easy!
Sure, there is some expense. You need to buy the freezing blocks, heat
extractor blocks, and chucks (in a pinch, you can actually use the
Microm chucks too). But, if quality of section, ease of use, and time
saving are important ... you owe it to yourself to give it a try.
I am very surprised to hear that the cryostat manufacturers are not
promoting this system. What is there to lose?  If a vendor has
complained about this system being promoted on the Histonet, too bad!
The prime purpose of the Histonet is to provide a forum for
histotechnologists, pathologists, researchers, etc. to share
information, seek advise, or share experiences.
The Histonet is not a forum for blatant commercial advertising, but I am
very impressed with this system and would recommend it to anyone who
does frozen sections. The website is well put together and well worth
investigating. (http://pathologyinnovations.com/)

Paul Bradbury
Canada