[Histonet] stain living cells - what dye doesn't kill the cells?

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 15:14:33 CDT 2007

Moran:
  Your question belongs to the realm of "supravital" or "vital" stains, i.e. those able to accomplish exactly what you want to do.
  I always used neutral red in dilutions between 1:10,000 and 1:50,000 depending on the subject . The idea being to let the living cells to incorporate and concentrate the dye in a way that they survive and become visible.
  Now a question: why you don't use a phase or an interference optical system to view the cells, alive and without staining them?
  René J.

Moran Elishmereni <moran.elish <@t> gmail.com> wrote:
  Dear Histonetters,

Does anyone know of a dye/stain (fluorescent or non-fluorescent) that does
not kill cells? I want to do some live-imaging of live primary mast cells,
but be able to distinguish them from other cells in a certain mix. So I need
to stain them- but not affect there viability/function.
I know that this isnt exactly the forum for this question, but I'm hoping to
get some suggestions anyway.
Many thanks,
Moran

--
Moran Elishmereni

Department of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
School of Pharmacy, Faculty of Medicine
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
POB 12065
Jerusalem 91120, ISRAEL