[Histonet] H&E Staining

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Wed Oct 10 08:40:30 CDT 2007

i'm currently trying some H&E staining (post-TUNEL) on paraffin embedded
tissues and keep having the eosin wash out during the dehydration steps
(stepwise: 70% alcohol, 95% alcohol, 100% alcohol)... any ideas on why
this would happen?  am i missing a step in between that allows the stain
to 'stick'?  thanks

It is 'stuck' but you are unsticking it. Either because you are using
eosin that is soluble in alcohol or because the water in the 70% is
removing the water soluble eosin. You could try adding calcium ions as
an accentuator, that might make the glue stronger, but of course you
must use aqueous eosin or the calcium ions come out of solution.

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
DD   01934 647057 or extension 3311
Mob 07749 754194; Pager 07659 597107;

Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties. --Erich Fromm

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on
its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
Thank you for your co-operation