[Histonet] microwave processing

Garth Jerome garth <@t> apollosci.co.za
Thu Oct 4 08:36:33 CDT 2007

Hello Jennifer

Whilst I do not have SPECIFIC data for the Shurwave, we process prostate
biopsies in our Milestone unit, using FineFix. For biopsies, where fixation
is uncertain, we fix for 20mins in the microwave in FineFix or 10%NBF. Both
work equally well. This is a 800W magnetron and Temp is 50 degree Celsius.

Hope this can help you.

Regards

Garth Jerome
Apollo Scientific cc
Telephone : 27-11-466 7666
Facsimile : 27-11-466 7672
Personal facsimile : 086 660 0539
Cell phone : 084 504 1101
Email : garth <@t> apollosci.co.za

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jennifer
Trump
Sent: 04 October 2007 03:01 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] microwave processing

Hello all,
I am starting up a Histology Lab in a urology practice. I will be processing
prostates using the TBS shurwave 1200. I have read all about using Preserve
as a fixative but would like to have some advice from you all before I go
ahead and implement that. I know a minimum of 12 hours of fixing at RT in
formalin is preferable but what is the minimum amount of time I can get away
with? Of course they want same day turn!
Thanks!
Jenny