[Histonet] Flammable and acid storage

Sherwood, Margaret MSHERWOOD <@t> PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Nov 5 08:08:42 CST 2007

Just another note:  acids and bases need to be stored separately.  We keep our
acids under our hood in lab, bases in another cabinet and flammables, of course,
in a yellow flammable safety cabinet.

Peggy Sherwood
Lab Associate, Photopathology
Wellman Center for Photomedicine (W224)
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
617-724-4839 (voice mail)
617-726-6983 (lab)
617-726-1206 (fax)
msherwood <@t> partners.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Lee &
Peggy Wenk
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 5:28 AM
To: b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu; laurie.colbert <@t> huntingtonhospital.com
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Flammable and acid storage

Try OSHA. 29 CFR 1910.106, starting in section d

Lots of information about storing flammables. Boils down to - have to store
flammables separate from everything else.

Also the NFPA Section 30 has information.

Also, check the MSDS (a requirement of OSHA). They always have information
about incompatabilities. And many flammables and acids say to store them
separate from each other.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073