[Histonet] Veronal-acetate buffer

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon May 28 07:47:01 CDT 2007

Jacqui:
  You are referring to the Michaelis veronal buffer for mast cells staining (Leder procedure).
  Unfortunately (as far as I know) this procedure works only with the veronal buffer (pH 6.3) and it is a component difficult to find (since it is a controlled substance).
  If you work in a hospital perhaps the pharmacy could have sodium barbital which is the difficult component to find.
  René J.

Jacqui Detmar <detmar <@t> mshri.on.ca> wrote:
  Hi all. I would like to do some acid phosphatase staining, but the
protocol I have includes a buffer that calls for sodium barbitone. I
have searched a number of different sites for a possible substitute
(including Histonet archives) and I can't seem to find one. Does anyone
know if I can substitute another buffer for the veronal-acetate buffer?

Thanks,

Jacqui Detmar, Ph.D. candidate

Samuel Lunenfeld Research Insitute, room 876

Mount Sinai Hospital

600 University Avenue

Toronto, ON, Canada

M5G 1X5