[Histonet] salary range

Juan Gutierrez jgutierrez <@t> precisionpath.us
Thu May 24 10:03:23 CDT 2007

Amen brother!  You hit the nail in the head when you mentioned who your
competition really is.  It will be the local labs that WILL steal your techs
away.  Look at me.  I'm at a third different job this year, because I got
tired of fighting management about salaries for my techs and doing my best
to keep them.  Now I'm just another hired gun looking out for number one.
Good luck!

Juan C. Gutierrez, HT(ASCP)
Just a Histo Tech again and loving it!!!
Precision Pathology Services
(210)646-0890 Ext.203

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 8:39 AM
To: Marcia Funk; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] salary range

Marcia:
  I will tell you what I did twice:
  1- I called all hospitals in my area and found out their salary ranges;
  2- with that information and anlyzing the training and educational
background of my staff, I prepared a really fair salary scale/range; and
  3- I presented it to management to discuss it.

  Twice I succeeded in changing the salary range at my lab.
  Please remember that salary (as politics) is a local thing and in salary
is more local, is "laboratory based" and offer/demand rules in many cases.
  Forget about what is paid in your region or even in the State. Go local,
very local, to the other hospitals in the area that could be the ones that
could "lure" your best techs by offering a better salary.
  Local competintion and availability of histotechs is what should be taken
into considerations.
  Hope this will help you!
  René J.

Marcia Funk <FUNKM <@t> mercyhealth.com> wrote:

Hello,
I know we have talked about the salary range before and the NSH has
information for there last servey
which is dated 2005. I'm working hard with management to upgrade the pay
grade for Histology.
If you have some information it would be greatly appreciated. Hospital size
309 beds, 23,0000
surgicals, autopsy and cellblocks. We do specials and a full range of IHC
and ISH.
We are in the midwest, working 8 hours shifts starting at 5:30. My concern
is that there are
labs that just do Histology and then have a Special/IHC lab, where as our
lab is a full service lab.

Marcia