[Histonet] Need help from Imaging Experts

Bruce Webber bruce.webber <@t> cefe.cnrs.fr
Thu May 17 03:46:50 CDT 2007

Hi Sharon,

I agree with Phil - PICT is a lossless image format (capable of
containing lossless raster as well as vector data) and would be your
best bet to retain maximum image information.  However, PICT is also a
format primarily for Macs and is slowly becoming redundant.  To avoid
incompatibility issues in the future, I would recommend using graphics
software to convert them to an EPS file (if you have inserted vector
objects onto your frame captures -e.g. an arrow) or TIFF file (if it is
just the single video frame unedited) for long-term archiving.  You can
then use these archived originals to create smaller (lossy) JPG files
for email distribution or web posting.

I would suggest reading the following page (and the links it contains)
for information on various image file formats:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_file_formats

Cheers, Bruce