[Histonet] Need help from Imaging Experts

Philip Oshel oshel1pe <@t> cmich.edu
Wed May 16 13:14:52 CDT 2007

Sharon,

I suggest PICT.
Short answer: always save original files in a format that does not
compress the image *at all*. JPEG compresses images, even if (as in
some programs) you have an option to use "0%" compression. (JPG2000
may not use a lossy compression, but I'm not sure about that. I don't
trust it.)
The saved file can then always be re-named ( ! ) and resaved as a
JPEG if needed for e.g. emailing. The reverse is not true. Once an
image is compressed, the information -- which means: your data --
discarded during compression is lost forever.

I ran a test on my Mac with iMovie, and saved a frame as a JPEG and a PICT.

Both files read as 1.5MB, and took 1.5MB memory, but the actual file
length of the JPEG was 120kB, while the PICT was 1.5MB. JPEG
compression was 1:12, there was no compression of the PICT image
(strictly, compression was 1:1).

I then opened and saved both images as TIFFS using Graphic
Converter**, and could see more detail and better color gradations at
400% zoom in the file originally saved as a PICT. This was also true
if just opening the saved PICT and JPEG images.

Keep in mind, once the frames have been saved as separate images,
they can be opened and then saved in any other format. Adobe
Photoshop CS2 (and I think earlier versions) in Windows opens PICT
files.

The question becomes: what is the purpose of the images? If they are
for posting on a web site, emailing, or a Powerpoint presentation,
then JPEG is good. If they are for publication in print, or as a
poster, then JPEG is no good. JPEG is a lossy file-compression
standard. I believe PICT does not compress or lose image information.
(We at Microscopy Today don't like JPEG images for this reason, and
always ask for micrographs as TIFFs. TIFFs are much larger files than
JPEGs, but that is because JPEGs are compressed and have lost
information.)

Note: iMovie saves at 72dpi if just "Saved", or exported for DV. If
the movie is new -- i.e., not yet saved -- don't "Save" it, but
"Export" it as "Full Quality". This will leave the individual frames
uncompressed for later individual saving. This format can always be
resaved for DV or CD-ROM if needed, but you will have kept all the
information in the images.

**Graphic Converter is a shareware program that started life as a
graphics file conversion program and has become an imaging program
almost as powerful as Photoshop, but *much* easier to use. And costs
$30. Anyone who has a Mac and does images should have this.
http://www.lemkesoft.com

Phil

--
Philip Oshel