[Histonet] RE:Switching from hospital histo to Research

Bernice Frederick b-frederick <@t> northwestern.edu
Mon May 14 15:28:24 CDT 2007

Addendum to previous: we process most mouse tissue on a 9 hour cycle.
Makes quite a difference- very few crispy critters.

Bernice

Bernice Frederick HTL (ASCP)
Northwestern University
Pathology Core Facility
710 N Fairbanks Court
Olson 8-421
Chicago,IL 60611
312-503-3723

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gayle
Callis
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 1:30 PM
To: Linda Jenkins; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE:Switching from hospital histo to Research

Dear Linda and Carol,

Another thing - develop an invaluable network of research histotechs to
help you as you go along.  Histonet is one place to find these people,
and
in the end, you will spend a lot of time with them in very lengthy
private
conversations.  Attending NSH workshops and participating in their
committees has been a huge help to our laboratory, right down on how to
set
up GLP, and just about any other methodology -

As for Linda, she is one of my invaluable contacts - sharing ideas,
literature, the lost method, problem solving with individuals like her
not
only boosts your knowledge but you also become good friends along the
way
and maybe someday co-present workshops on various reserach related
topics
as we have done.

Enjoy your research experience - and remember to avoid those "crispy
critters" .

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology
Montana State University - Bozeman
PO Box 173610
Bozeman MT 59717-3610

At 12:48 PM 5/14/2007, you wrote:
>Hi, Carol!
>         You  stated:
>
>  " I'm contemplating making a switch from a routine hospital histology

> department to supervising a pharmaceutical research histology dept.
> working with mostly rodent tissue.  Any opinions, suggestions, or
> resources anyone would like to contribute would be greatly
> appreciated.  It seems like a much less stress level than a hospital
is
> at times,..... so what am I missing or not thinking about as far as
the
> "problems" in this type of histology?"
>
>         Well, I made the switch 18 years ago and the thoughts of going

> back to clinical have never entered my mind.  What's not to like?
Better