[Histonet] bat brain

Cheryl Cross ccross6032 <@t> aol.com
Thu May 10 18:50:41 CDT 2007

hi i-sanna i know everyone will have their own opinions.....if you
aren't perfusing what we typically do for necropsy cases is to remove
the brain immediately and let it sit in formalin (10% NBF) whole, for
24 hours. if you touch or cut the parenchyma when the brain is still
soft you increase likelihood of artifactual neuronal change. make
sure that you have enough formalin in the container - the brain
should be well covered (1:10 ratio is ideal). After 24 hours then we
section transversely (or what some call coronally) and wrap up the
cut sections in paper towels to keep the sections in order. let that
wrapped and cut brain sit for at least 2-3 days in the formalin to
appropriately fix (some might even put it on a shaker to keep the
formalin infiltrating into the cuts). For histopath we use 6-7 um
sections and H&E staining. i am not sure of the processing schedule
that's standard where i am. once you have your sections sampled you
can then keep the left over portions in the same soaked paper towels
with just a few cc's of formalin in a zip-lock plastic back for
storage (once the brain is fixed).

cheryl