[Histonet] Murine brain perfusion

Jo Dee Fish jfish <@t> gladstone.ucsf.edu
Fri Mar 30 09:50:09 CDT 2007

Dear Histonetters, Roger and Jackie,
I follow about the same protocol on mice, but with one major difference.  In
order to keep the heart beating (facilitates good perfusion, and best
fixation), cut the posterior vena cava rather than the ascending aorta.  If
you cut the aorta you will disrupt the closed vascular system and the
fixative won't be able to reach the organs and brain.  The whole purpose of
perfusion is to get the fixative into the deeper tissues, so you want to
keep the vascular circuit closed so the fixative can be pumped through the
entire body, but if you cut the aorta you will only be perfusing for a very
short distance.  The posterior vena cava is a darker purplish blue and the
aorta will be paler, DON'T cut the pale one, cut the purple one!  You should
do well with this.
One other thing I do differently is I use an 18 gauge canula and insert it
into the left ventricle of the heart, it gives you a bigger target, is
easier to hold, and you don't have to spend as much time "finding" the aorta
and clamping it in place.  You can hold the canula in place while switching
the valve from saline buffer to fixative (may take a little practice, but is
easily learned).
Good luck,
Jo Dee

Jo Dee Fish
Research Technologist III
Gladstone Institute of Cardiovascular Disease

Telephone: (415) 734-2567
Fax: (415) 355-0824
E-mail: jfish <@t> gladstone.ucsf.edu

Mailing address: