[Histonet] Degree in Histotechnology

Dawn Cowie dlcowie <@t> prodigy.net
Fri Mar 23 03:24:07 CDT 2007

Sheri,
  We have 2 FTE's available now for preferably HTL (Florida licensed). It usually takes us about 6-9 months to fill a position - sometimes longer. I still think the Florida license scares people from out of state even when you explain the rules to them regarding ASCP certification and getting a license. Our HT's salary range is approx. $20-25 per hour. Our HTL's salary range is approx. $22-28 per hour. Both positions salaries dependent on number of years in the field, actual work experience, etc. We will probably need to replace 1, possibly 2 HTL's in the next couple of years due to retirement. The majority of my staff are over 50.
  We definitely need another histo program in Florida - there aren't enough techs to fill all the positions in this state.
  Hope my 2 cents helps.

  Dawn L. Cowie, HT (ASCP)
  Histology Supervisor
  Pensacola Pathologists, PA
  Pensacola, Florida 32503
  850-416-7251

"Meilus, Sheri D." <Sheri.Meilus <@t> va.gov> wrote:
  Dear Histonetters,

St. Petersburg College is seriously considering starting AS and BS
programs in Histotechnology. I will be attending their next Advisory
Committee meeting. They would like the following information:

* Number of unfilled HT/HTL positions in your laboratory
* Average length of time to fill HT/HTL positions in your
laboratory
* Projected annual need for new HT/HTL positions in your
laboratory
* Salary ranges for HT/HTL in your laboratory

If as many of you as possible will provide me with this information, I
will be glad to represent you at the meeting.

Thanks and good luck to all of us!

Sheri Meilus, HT(ASCP)QIHC

Anatomic Pathology Supervisor

Bay Pines VAMC Bay Pines, FL 33744