[Histonet] use of anti-chondroitin sulfate antibody CS56 with chondroitinase-treated samples

George Adams George.Adams <@t> UTSouthwestern.edu
Thu Mar 22 12:10:20 CDT 2007

Histonetters:
     Thanks for helping me out on recent queries.  Has anyone tested the use of the anti-chondroitin sulfate antibody CS56 (available from Sigma, GeneTex among others) with tissues that have been treated with chondroitinase ABC and subsequently viewed by immunohistochemistry (IHC)?.  Please note "ABC" refers to the specific isoform of the enzyme chondroitinase, not avidin biotin complex!
     Is binding with this antibody abolished or does the chondroitinase treatment make no difference (i.e., eptiope not destroyed with treatment)?
     If anyone has seen no difference in treated vs. untreated (control) samples with this antibody, can you recommend an Ab to chondroitin sulfate where I will see a difference?  I have found one Ab to the NG2 chondroitin sulfate that is supposed to bind "mature chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan core glycoprotein as well asprecursor peptides of 210, 220 and 240 kDa" according to US Biological.  Has anyone had experience with this particular Ab?

                                                                                                                                                                                                       George Adams
                                                                                                                                                                                                       UT Southwestern Medical Center