[Histonet] Cresyl Violet Staining

Lee & Peggy Wenk lpwenk <@t> sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 25 18:13:42 CDT 2007

Wondering if the dye should be cresyl echt violet, now known as cresyl
violet acetate, rather than cresyl violet. This is what we use to
demonstrate Nissl.

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Benjamin
Cottam
Sent: Monday, June 25, 2007 5:46 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Cresyl Violet Staining

I have been staining rodent and moonkey retina fixed frozen sections with
cresyl violet, .5% for some time.  Recently the staining has been washing
out in the rinsing/dehyration steps.  I have tried inceasing the time in the
stain, increasing the stain concentration to 1%, and even shortening the
time in the wash and dehration.  I also tried moving right from CV to 95%
EtOH but after a few minutes, the staining has washed out of the retina.
Any suggestions on what to do next would be most helpful.
Benjamin Cottam
Sr. Research Assistant
OHSU-CEI