[Histonet] Paraffin specimen clamp

AGrobe2555 <@t> aol.com AGrobe2555 <@t> aol.com
Mon Jun 25 15:46:48 CDT 2007

"In this instance, I would embed the entire block as you would a piece of
tissue, without melting the existing paraffin, and attach a cassette."

David,
I have tried this in the past with very little success.  The new, hot
paraffin does not adhere to the old, cold paraffin enough to keep the blocks
affixed to the cassette for any length of time when subjected to the shearing
pressure of the blade while sectioning.  I have had to melt, and  re-embed the
samples in order to section the samples.  The most  straight-forward way would be
to find the appropriate clamp (hopefully at an  inexpensive price).

Just curious, why can't you melt and re-embed?

Best of luck,
Albert

Albert C.  Grobe, PhD
International Heart Institute of Montana Foundation
Tissue  Engineering Lab, Saint Patrick  Hospital