[Histonet] quick and dirty scale bar

Philip Oshel oshel1pe <@t> cmich.edu
Tue Jun 19 14:15:54 CDT 2007

Terry,

They give a needed sense of scale to the subject. This may seem
superfluous, but it's valuable. I rather suspect you have a set of
neurons tucked away in your cortex that know how big a macrophage
fixed with Bouin's is, or a methanol-fixed RBC, etc., so you know
what you're looking at and if it's the right size.
But.
How about a confocal image of the mitochondrial network of a
crustacean larva? Or the size range of pollen grains? Or are the
pores in that polymer about 1 micron or 10?
Obviously you're right that the sizes are "ishy" -- they're ishy even
on non-processed samples like a chunk of semiconductor or a ceramic
like bone (unless much time and money has been spent properly
calibrating the microscopes). I've had more than one dispute about
this, where some investigator wants to measure things to 0.01
micrometer or better, and the for-real precision is more like 10%.
Still, it's useful to know if the micrograph was taken with a 10X
lens a 40X lens or a 100X lens, and if the relay lens was 0.33X or
0.45X or ... get me in the ballpark (sorry, cricket grounds) and I'll
have a better shot and figuring out if that little blob is a tiny
little one micron green algal cell or a 50 micro green algae -- in,
most likey, a completely different kingdom.
The meaning really is in your second sentence. You've got lots of
known sizes to reference against. Most of us don't. Even in animal
tissues, the same kind of cell in a bird isn't going to be as big as
in a human or a rat or a lizard or ... .
Scale bars become the reference to recognize orders of size and
relative sizes. There are few internal standards or references.

Phil