[Histonet] automated microtome recommendations

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Jun 15 11:10:33 CDT 2007

Jane,

We use high profile disposable blades, Sakura FineTek Accuedge coated
blades for all our cryomicrotomy.  The high profile is a bit sturdier than
low profile and is JUST as sharp as low profile.   To satisfy curiousity
about any differences of these blades,  the thickness of both was measured
with a dial caliper, and learned high profiles are just a fraction thicker
below the slanted bevel edge than the low profile.

We do not experience chatter, vibration with the high profile blades, but
have had some problems with low profiles.   Be sure to try the different
blades available, ask for samples - ThermoFisher, DuraEdge, and Richard
Allan EdgeRite are excellent high profiles too.  There are more besides these.

What is critical is the temperature you set for the brain cryotomy  - we
cryosection at -16C, and some advise lower temps than that,  but this
temperature works for brain, spleen and liver.  Our cryostat does not have
a separate temperature control for sample or blade.

At 07:58 AM 6/15/2007, you wrote:
>What thoughts do people have on the relative advantages of high and low
>profile knives for slicing mouse or rat brain? We use fresh frozen tissue. jane
>
>"Life is short - make haste to be kind"
>
>Dr. Jane Flinn
>Director, Biopsychology Program
>George Mason University, 3F5