[Histonet] Cirrhosis

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Jun 8 13:00:17 CDT 2007

A workshop director years ago suggested using a reticulin stain in
conjunction with a Massons trichrome and the routine H&E stain.  They did
not counterstain the reticulin stain although an eosin stain would be nice
OR nuclear fast red for red/black contrast.
  You should see correlation between reticulin stain and Masson's
trichrome.  Remember that Mass Tri stains ALL types of  connective tissues
that include basement membrane, reticulin and collagen.  You could, for
fun, do a Verhoeffs van Giesons for just collagen fibers too - you will
have an interesting collection of stains in the end.

Try to pick up adjacent sections in order to have a closer correlation
within 25 um or so of each section

Pick up and stain in this order (or what you prefer)
1.  H&E
2.  Mass Tri
3.  Verhoeffs van Gieson
3.  reticulin