[Histonet] long-term storage of rat brain at -80

Charles Scouten cwscouten <@t> myneurolab.com
Mon Jun 4 10:55:39 CDT 2007

 Freeze fracture is lines through the tissue parallel to the blade passage.  The "swiss cheese" holes are distinctly different.

Neil, see page 48 of the January 2007 issue of Microscopy today, or the following link, for a full discussion of your problem:

http://www.myneurolab.com/global/Manuals/Tips%20and%20Techniques%20Freezing%20Artifact.pdf

Fast freezing prevents crystal formation and expansion of the water in tissue.  Expansion causes the 'swiss cheese'.

However, the vitreous ice formed by fast freezing is an unstable state of nature.  At any temperature above something like -200C, it gradually reforms as crystaline ice.  The less cold, the faster the reformation.  Did you leave it in the cyrostat overnight to get to cutting temperature?

Long term frozen organs will gradually develop freezing artifact.  No way around it except maybe liquid helium or other outragously expensive storage.   You only solution would be cut earlier, don't store so long.  Or keep colder at all times, and cut as soon as you reach a warm enough temperature to cut.  The 30% sucrose should help some, but you are already doing that.

Cordially,
Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D.
myNeuroLab.com
5918 Evergreen Blvd.