[Histonet] mayers bluing

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 07:52:44 CDT 2007

Mayer's, as you know, is a progressive hematoxylin, meaning that you do not have to differentiate it; you just need to determine an adequate staining time for it to stain. After that washing has 2 purposes: eliminate excess hematoxylin and turn it blue (hematoxylin is a pH indicator).
  To you short question, a short answer: YES, after washing the excess, you can "blue" it (let it act as the indicator it is in an alkaline or basic solution) in what are kown as "blueing solutions".
  René J.

Steven Coakley <sjchtascp <@t> yahoo.com> wrote:
  I just started working in a Derm. lab that uses Mayers, 3 stations of 5 minutes each followed by a 10 minute water rinse on an automatic stainer. I've never worked with Mayers as the primary hematoxylin. Can Mayers be used with a bluing agent instead of the long water rince? Longest darn H&E I've ever had to wait on!!!!