[Histonet] Ripples in Arterial sections

Monfils, Paul PMonfils <@t> Lifespan.org
Mon Jul 23 16:37:41 CDT 2007

	This is common when cutting sections of artery.  Actually the section isn't contracting after being cut.  Rather, just the opposite.  Virtually all tissues undergo substantial shrinkage during dehydration. The cut sections then rehydrate when floated on the water bath, and expand to approximately the original size of the tissue sample. Some tissues rehydrate quickly, others more slowly, and as a result, sections of some organs which are composed of different kinds of tissue may not rehydrate at a uniform rate.  Muscle tends to rehydrate slowly, which is why arterial sections, either alone or within sections of various organs, develop these "waves".  The connective tissues, collagen, and other components around the muscle fibers expand rapidly on the water bath, pulling on the muscle tissue which is more resistant to expansion.  There are a few options that will help eliminate this artifact.  First - patience!  If your water bath is sufficiently warm, such "waves" in the tissue will usually flatten considerably if not completely, if you wait long enough. You may have to let the sections float a couple of minutes or more.  Second, if they don't flatten sufficiently after a couple of minutes, increase the temperature of your water bath, close to the melting point of the paraffin you are using. That will cause the sections to spread more quickly.  And/or, third, use a "slide warmer".  If you are not familiar with that piece of equipment, it's basically a low temperature hotplate (maximum temp usually about 80 degrees C), with a larger surface area than a standard hotplate.  You cut your sections, drain them briefly, then lay the slides flat on the slide warmer, while there is still some moisture between the section and the slide..  At 80 degrees the wax in the sections will melt immediately, and the tissue will quickly spread and adhere to the slide. Leave them a couple of minutes or more, until all the water has evaporated from the slide.  80 degrees may be too warm for more delicate tissues, which may overspread, but relatively tough tissues like artery will do well at that temperature.