[Histonet] Slide subbing vs superfrost plus, pros/cons?

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Jul 23 10:04:09 CDT 2007

For me, it is a time consideration.  Time is money and I do not have the
time to order slides, make up reagent, dip, dry etc, etc.  For us, the cost
of buying Plus charge or PolySine slides is costing my department less than
me doing it, and it doesn't take me away from more important tasks when the
histo lab does not have extra laboratory staff to do the work.   If the
researcher does not want to buy the more expensive coated slides, then they
have to deal with coatings in their own labs and any attendant problems
with poor coating results.  Researchers here have to buy all their own
slides anyway with their funding.

However, some people have to hand sub or coat with silane or poly l lysine
when working with large slides or special tissues.  With huge decalcified
bone sections in the past, we did special gelatin subbing of 4 X 5 inch
slides.

I think it is important that students and even histotechs should know how
to do subbing or plus charge coatings of slides though.  it is a good
learning experience.