[Histonet] staining query

John Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Fri Jul 13 22:13:23 CDT 2007

For your first question, Yes. The brown product of oxidation
of DAB is not extracted or otherwise damaged by acidity
and/or alcohol, so you can safely differentiate an overdone
haemalum counterstain.

For your second question, distinguishing multinucleate giant
cells from muscle, how about lightly counterstaining with
eosin Y after the haemalum? You'll then have an H&E
preparation in which those cell types should look quite
different. You didn't say what antigen you're immunostaining,
or where it is. If it's in the cytoplasm of either muscle fibres
or giant cells (osteoclasts? TB? foreign body?), the other
other cell-type should be recognizable even if the eosin
pink in immunopositive cells is obscured by the brown
DAB oxidation product.

A green anionic dye such as fast green FCF could be used
instead of eosin, especially if the immunopositive material
is in distinct granules, fibrils or other domains within the
cytoplasm. Green with brown makes a more pleasing
contrast than pink with brown.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada.