[Histonet] embedding without a station?

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Wed Jan 24 08:58:37 CST 2007

I have never felt that embedding stations are worth the counter space they
take up.  I just barely melt my Paraplast in a Pyrex beaker on a hotplate
and maintain its temperature in a 60 degree oven. I set out the mold on the
counter and pour in enough Paraplast to quarter fill it.  Since the beaker
is hot, I keep a cotton glove on my left hand.  I leave my right hand bare
to handle the forceps.)  I warm my forceps in the flame of an alcohol lamp,
and position my tissue on the bottom of the mold, set an embedding ring in
place, and fill the mold. I wipe the lip of the beaker with a paper towel
(usually one that has already been used for drying my hands). Everything
except the oven can be put away in a cupboard, leaving me with counter space
for other projects.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Anila Syed
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2007 8:05 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] embedding without a station?

Dear All,

I have hundreds of carotid plaques to embedd. I have a tissue processor, but

no embedding station. Would anyone attempt to do this without an embedding
station or do you think I should go and try to find the facilities
somewhere?

What did people do before embedding stations?

Many thanks for your input and opinions,

Anila Syed