[Histonet] cryo-embedding and other "cool" stuff. :)

Debbie Keith debbiekeith <@t> cox.net
Mon Jan 22 17:27:04 CST 2007

for those that helped me with my cryo-issues AND those that were
amused/tickled/glad it wasn't them....I realized there was another
installation of the "cryostat debacle of 2006".

so many people helped me during the "crisis"... and a couple worth
mentioning....
Barry (technician) of BelAir, Don (repair technician) from Leica and Jan
Minshew (HTL) with Leica.  THANK YOU GUYS!!!   :)

after replacing the parts i'd gotten from BelAir and doing everything Jan
suggested, i felt like i sorta figured it all out.  the machine still had
some odd behaviors, or pecidillos, if you will.  overall, i felt i could
work around them.  maybe even embrace them the way you would the behaviors
of your own teenager.  begrudginly....  but you'd still hug it when it was
behaving.   ;)

well, after our newfound compatibility.... the ex-sailor was scheduled to
work.  what could he do in ONE day?!

funny you should ask. :)

he tightened the screw on top so HARD... that he stripped the threads
COMPLETELY out and you could remove the lever but simply lifting it
up.  eeeeeek.

i called the repair folks and they said it would be WEEKS to get the part
in.  so, i asked "can't i just heli-coil it?"  the repair guy was VERY
skeptical.  he sounded like he didn't even WANT to know what i was up
to.  (smart man!)

i took it home and my hubby fixed it with parts we had in the garage!! (we
have a few british bikes in the garage, so there are metric bits/parts all
over!)  the cryostat was not only GOOD as new... but BETTER!  the original
part is aluminum....  and the heli-coil is steel... so it is stronger,
harder and FASTER.  it is the Steve Austin of cryostats.

before the holidays i'd been sorta looking at cryo-embedding systems.  the
ones out there are great... but they aren't really Mohs-Friendly.  know
what i mean?  so i MADE my own.  i can't BELIEVE how awesome it IS!!!  i
did exhaustive research on metals/heat syncs/thermal conductivity... and
created a system that reduced my processing time by 50%.  my
turn--around-time is about 10 minutes from fresh tissue to slides on the
scope. (i hand stain!)  is it too good to be true....?  nope.  every day,
when i clean the inside of the cryostat...  i lovingly caress the chuck
holder... and blow a kiss at the cryo-embedding system.  (utilizing
universal precautions the whole while! natch!)

so, now...  my slides are purty, my turn-around-time is shorter and my
cryostat is making "THE noise".  it IS a happy new year, indeed.

:)

debbie