[Histonet] hydorgen peroxide acitvity

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Sun Jan 21 08:03:40 CST 2007

Thomas:
  The methanol is not necessary at all. Hydrogen peroxide after dewaxing and before starting the IHC procedure is used, as I am sure you know, to quench the natural peroxidase, an enzyme present in all cells and used in the respiratory cycle.
  Since the IHC process used peroxidase-anti-peroxidase steps, the internal peroxidase has to be "oxidized" = render inactive with the hydrogen peroxide but, I repeat, the methanol is not necessary; an aqueous 3% solution of H2O2 during 5 minutes will quench the peroxidase in any FFPE tissue section.
  Hope this will help you!
  René J.

Thomas Proctor <proctoth <@t> ohsu.edu> wrote:
  Can some one explain why, after de-waxing paraffin sections and into 95% ethanol, most protocols say to treat with hydrogen peroxide in mehtanol? It's the methanol part that I'm not understanding. I would appreciate some input on the reason, as well as any alternative methods. Thanks.
Thomas