[Histonet] Paraffin sectioning troubleshooting

AGrobe2555 <@t> aol.com AGrobe2555 <@t> aol.com
Fri Jan 19 12:23:22 CST 2007

How thick are your sections?  Have you tried adjusting your knife  angle?  I
keep my blocks in the refrigerator the day I am sectioning, and  take them out
just before sectioning.  I allow them to warm for a few  minutes, and ribbon
off my sections.  If I start having problems, I put a  frozen artificial ice
pack on the block surface for 30-60 seconds, allow to warm  for a few seconds,
then section again.

The brittleness of your sections sounds like a processing issue.  You  may
need to adjust your processing schedule if the tissues are brittle,  especially
if you are using an automatic processor.  If the wax is brittle,  try another
wax formulation with additional plasticizers that serve to "soften"  the wax.