[Histonet] LUXOL FAST BLUE

Tim Wheelock twheelock <@t> mclean.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 12 12:54:41 CST 2007

Hi Thomas:

I stain 5 micron paraffin sections of human brain with Luxol Fast Blue
routinely.
Forget the Lithium.
The best differentiator is a 1% hydroquinone, 5% sodium sulfite aqueous
solution.
This will pull out the Luxol from everything except the white matter,
lipofuscin, and elastic fibers in arteries.
Works every time.

At least with my thin 5 micron sections, you only need 2 dips in the
differentiator.
Then immediately into 3 changes of  tap water of about 20 dips each,
once more in tap water for 1 minute, and then a final holding dish with
tap water.
Your 7 micron sections should behave the same. If you want to add 1 more
dip in the differentiator that should be fine too.

As for the pink stain that you have seen, it is probably Eosin.
I counter-stain the Luxol with:

(1) 10 minutes in Gill 3 Hematoxylin
(2) 3 minutes in Eosin Y Alcoholic.

So I end with a triple stain, an LHE (Luxol Fast Blue-Hematoxylin-Eosin)

The PAS should also work nicely once you differentiate the Luxol.
But as I hardly ever do this, I am  not sure of the protocol.
However Sheehan's "Theory and Practice of Histotechnology" should have a
Luxol-PAS recipe.

Hopes this helps.
I will send the entire protocol and an image to your email.

Tim Wheelock
Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center
McLean Hospital
617-855-3592

Any information, including protected health information (PHI), transmitted
 in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and or
exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal or State law. Any review,
retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in
reliance upon, protected health information (PHI) by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.