[Histonet] Block/slide sign out in Histology

Dawson, Glen GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com
Tue Jan 9 11:11:14 CST 2007

Vikki,

We have people sign out blocks/slides in a log, force them to put cardboard labels where the slides/blocks were pulled from the file (for quick reference), and they are signed out within our computer system.

CAP regulations aside...this is a MUST for your own sanity.  Good control over materials being taken out of the histo lab can save you from hours of fruitless searching, blame being placed on YOU for losing it & possible litigation if the patient or his/her lawyer shows up demanding these materials.  Since you are the manager, I would strongly suggest you disregard the "strong resistance" you are meeting and track these things very closely for the benefit of both yourself & your employees. Those who resist the strongest are surely the ones that will pull these materials and then swear up and down that it wasn't them.

Best of Luck,

Glen Dawson
IHC Manager
Milwaukee, WI

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Pamela
Marcum
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 10:24 AM
To: Victoria Baker; Histo Net list server
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Block/slide sign out in Histology

At 10:57 AM 1/9/2007, Victoria Baker wrote:
>Good morning all!
>
>It's been a while since I've done clinical Histology so, please bear
>with me if I ask questions that I really SHOULD know!  In the last
>clinical lab I worked in we had a sign out book that was used by
>everyone in the lab if they removed a block, a slide or a specimen
>from the "physical" histology space.  It was to be compliant with a
>certain CAP regulation.
>
>Currently I am a supervisor in a Histology lab that didn't keep a sign
>out book and with my taking the position I implemented one.  It is
>meeting with strong resistance.  I did check the New CAP checklist and
>it only refers to signing out of Histological materials from the lab
>for legal purposes.
>
>Can any of you share with me what your policy is for this in your lab?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Vikki Baker
>

>PS - A thank you to all the people who responded to me about my stray
>cats I very much appreciated the assistance and support.

Hi,

I don't know if it is a hard rule however, we have sign out sheets
for any materials, slides or blocks leaving this laboratory.  We are
GLP so we need this in place however, even if we were not I would
have it to be sure I know where the slides and blocks are and who
took them. Someone will always ask for the one that went out the
door.  When you don't know who took it or where it is you will be the
one catching you know what for letting it disappear.  I would keep
pushing if possible and ask if they have ever lost a slide by letting
it go to another hospital or area and needed it back only to find no
one knew where or when.  In medical legal cases missing an important
slide is really bad news and it happens.

Best Regards,

Pamela A Marcum
Manager, Histology Special Procedures
University of Pennsylvania