[Histonet] STF replacement

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Tue Jan 2 12:16:26 CST 2007

What an eye-opener!

I come from a lab where a formalin substitute was used for almost 10 years, then had it discontinued; then found an alternate source, only to have it discontinued after 5 more years.
Forget trying to make it yourself because the ingredients were proprietary.
Then, there was the need for all those pesky "alternative" NBF protocols for staining and IHC, especially the CAP surveys, which were always Neutral Buffered Formalin Fixed.
Certainly there are good, safer substitutes available, but none have the history of formalin and none are approved as a fixative for any of the FDA approved IHC tests.
Best of Luck to the Histotechs who have used this product for years, optimized all of their procedures for it, only to be left hanging.

Terri Braud

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Jackie M
O'Connor
Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 12:54 PM
To: Hannah, Michele F.
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu;
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] STF replacement

OK - just back from an extended leave.  I called STRECK Laboratories, and
they did in fact confirm that they are no longer offering STF for sale.  I
also would appreciate any suggestions from anyone who routinely uses a
formalin substitute for IHC, particularly on mouse tissue.
Thanks.

Jackie O'Connor

"Hannah, Michele F." <mhannah <@t> jhsph.edu>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
12/14/2006 03:31 PM

cc

Subject
[Histonet] STF replacement

I just called to check on an order of STF that I had placed and was told
that it has been discontinued with no replacement.  Just wondering if
anyone else has found a replacement or knows of one.  We use it
exclusively for postfixation.  Thanks!

Michele

Michele F. Hannah  M.S.
Department of Molecular Microbiology & Immunology
Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health