[Histonet] Dispensable knife

Cheryl Kerry tkngflght <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Feb 27 11:58:20 CST 2007

While I don't have a list of other blade brands for you-- I do have a few
things to add to your list when considering cost of blades in general.

Have you calculated how many slides or blocks your techs produce per box of
blades?  AccuEdge blades do seem to be pricey but I've always gone through
more of most of the other kinds...price per slide was uniformly better with
low-profile AccuEdge and a thicker one like Sturkey for bone and hard
tissue.

Also consider the frustration factor.  I don't care HOW much the blades cost
when I'm trying to get 40 slides off a hair-thin prostate biopsy!  In
fairness, it takes a couple of days with a new blade to get used to the
differences.  Having both types around during a new blade trial reduces the
fear factor and keeps people's minds a little more receptive to the changes.

Some labs stock three or four different types--each tech picks what works
for them and is responsible to keep the order clerk informed of when they
need more.

My two cents :-)

Cheryl

Cheryl Kerry, HT(ASCP)

Full Staff Inc.

281.852.9457

800.756.3309

Sign up for the FREE newsletter AP News--updates, tricks of the trade and
current issues for Anatomic Pathology Clinical Labs. Send a 'subscribe'
request to APNews <@t> fullstaff.org. Please include your name and specialty in
the body of the email.