[Histonet] Microtome problems

Alan Bright abright <@t> brightinstruments.com
Mon Feb 26 05:10:49 CST 2007

Dear Mary Beth,

I agree with Rene's reply email on this, but to be sure remove the
cutting knife or blade, cover the specimen clamp and hold firmly with a
cloth to eliminate frost bite and in the mid cutting position holding
the cutting handwheel too, try to move the specimen clamp from side to
side then up and down to see if there is a slight amount of movement in
the slideways or bearings. If it is side to side movement the vertical
slidways will need adjusting if up and down movement the microtome will
need a bearing changed. One other thing to note is that this microtome
was fitted in too high a position in the microtome chamber, to over come
this design fault they were fitted with a refrigerated specimen holder
with many developing leaks due to the constant movement during
sectioning, if your ventilation is too close to the opening of the
microtome chamber and disturbing the air in this chamber it would also
cause sectioning problems.

I hope this assist you in overcoming your problem

Best Regards

Alan Bright

Bright Instrument Co.Ltd.
St Margaret's Way