[Histonet] varying time in formalin

Stephens, Elizabeth Humes es144131 <@t> bcm.tmc.edu
Fri Feb 23 18:21:44 CST 2007

Hi everyone! I am wondering whether anyone has looked at how much length of time in formalin affects the ability to do immunohistochemistry? For instance, I want to do a pathology study on heart valves but have hearts that have been in formalin 1 year, 2 years, 3 years and am afraid this will affect
my results. I would be interested in IHC staining of matrix markers including various collagen types, elastin, fibrillin, proteoglycans, glycoaminoglycans, smooth muscle alpha actin, lysyl oxidase, prolyl 4-hydroxylase.

Thank you!!