[Histonet] Removing "build up" from reagent containers

Akemi Allison-Tacha akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 10:03:10 CST 2007

I am curious why you are using TAP WATER instead of DI water to make
your 70% alcohol.  There has been a great deal of discussion
regarding water in the lab arena.  It's all in the WATER!!
Everything is made with WATER!!  Your area of the country has a
tremendous amount of minerals in the water. (Lithium Carbonate) is
also a mineral and brings your water to a high pH to make it a bluing
solution, around pH 9.0.  Besides that, there are alot of other
undesirable components & Critters in TAP WATER.  A residual will
appear as the bluing solution with (Lithium Carbonate) stands for a
period of time.  This is normal and to be expected.

As well as the fact that pH can change seasonally and from morning to
afternoon.  When I was doing research on my H&E project in 2002 &
2003, I talked to over 300 histotechs around the country.  I found
out that in California & Fort Bragg, NC  local water providers, flush
the water systems with chlorine (bleach) periodically.  This is
maddening when your slides are washing in tap water after staining in
hematoxylin.  All of a sudden your nuclear staining is stripped-out
because of the chlorine content in the water.  Think about it, it's
doing the same thing as when you differentiate in acid alcohol.  Some
proactive supervisors have contacted the local water providers to
give them a heads-up when they flush their system.  They then wash
with bottled water.  Think about it, your DI water is affected too.
The chlorine runs through your DI purification system.  Ventana's
tech support will always question the water when they are doing their
trouble-shooting.  They have had  tons of instrument issues because
of BAD water.  Food for thought....

Phoenix Lab Consulting
Specializing in Histology, SS, IHC, & Microarray
Madison, WI
Akemi Allison-Tacha BS, HT (ASCP) HTL
President
Cell: 		(925) 788-0900