[Histonet] Reason for lengthy primary antibody incubation?

Andrea T. Hooper anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Thu Feb 15 08:06:42 CST 2007

1:40,000 means nothing without knowing the stock concentration of the
antibody. If the antibody was 10mg/ml (as it sometimes the case
especially with antibodies made in house) using it at 1:40,000 would
not be so unbelievable as a stock of 500ug/ml being used at 1:40,000.

In research the people doing IHC are often the same ones doing every
other type of experiment in the lab that day. What I am saying that
often times the slides are put up overnight simply b/c time runs out.
I sometimes do my blocking step overnight and sometimes antibody. To
me, I have rarely seen overnight make any major "night-and-day" sort
of difference. For example, if my staining didn't work at all with a
1-2 hr at RT incubation it wasn't going to magically appear all
beautiful after an overnight incubation.