[Histonet] Reason for lengthy primary antibody incubation?

pmarcum <@t> vet.upenn.edu pmarcum <@t> vet.upenn.edu
Thu Feb 15 06:53:39 CST 2007

Hi Patrick,

I agree with Patsy and would add we often extend a very expensive anitbody to
overnight.  They do to allow very extended dilutions out to the 1:40,000 is an
extreme example and allows more slides to reacted.  Research generally has more
time to do these longer times and the mind set.  We are in the position in
research of needing to have a patient's slides completed on the same time day.
I have some antibodies we use on the short clinical type time frame and some we
extend to allow the use of less anitbody in the dilutions.  I do use some of
the secondary kits however as we do a large range of animals and no mice or
rats we have to be very careful which animals are used in these kits to avoid
heavy background.  Best instance is using the Vector kit when we are doing
equine material as it is a horse serum block and some cross reactivity of the
second antibody. Research is a very different mindset from clinical and
although we have time pressures at times just like clinical.  However, we also
the time to workout protocols and make use of some methods not used in clinical
due the time issues.

Pamela Marcun
UPENN New Bolton Center