[Histonet] Re:Osteoblast staining

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Thu Feb 8 16:07:21 CST 2007

I believe that with most types of fixation and processing that alkaline
phosphatase is destroyed.
However, if memory serves me correctly, a method was used in which
tissue was fixed in acetone and straight into wax.
Short time in wax.
Believe that it was stated that 70% of the alkaline phosphatase was
preserved.
I did carry out this method on kidney and it was successful.
However, tissue is difficult to cut when fixed and processed in this
manner.
Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
AGrobe2555 <@t> aol.com
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 2:31 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re:Osteoblast staining

John,
I don't have a good answer, but instead a question.  Does Alkaline
phosphatase survive de-cal and paraffin processing?  It seems that
all/most  enzymatic
activity would be killed by this processing.....
Albert

Albert C.  Grobe, PhD
International Heart Institute of Montana Foundation
Tissue  Engineering Lab, Saint Patrick  Hospital