[Histonet] Staining frozen sections without fixation

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Tue Feb 6 16:37:36 CST 2007

Sonya,

Air-drying frozen sections is a form of fixation. Acetone is a poor
fixative. It probably has some action by dehydrating tissues. It may
also aid in the removal of fat and other hydrophobic cellular
components, thus aiding access of hydrophilic antibodies.

I would not leave sections to air-dry so long, 30 mins would suffice and
I would not bother fixing after the IPX procedure. Morphology will not
change.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
The Children's Hospital at Westmead,
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, 2145, AUSTRALIA.
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318

www.bandagedbearday.com.au