[Histonet] Paraplast Plus/Lost wax

Ford Royer froyer <@t> bitstream.net
Thu Feb 1 08:48:16 CST 2007

My first thought was the same as Cheryl's that there may be unwanted residue
(from the polymers & plastics) left over from the "burn out".  Also, the wax
used in the "Lost Wax" method is normally a combination of pure paraffin and
bees wax in a ratio of about 60/40.  But as Cheryl suggests - try it out on
a practice piece and see what happens.  If it works with no residue, I would
then recommend that the instructor procure some bees wax (available at all
craft stores) and add that to their Paraplast for even better results.  They
may find that Paraplast alone is too brittle to handle when harden.  The
bees wax makes the mixture more malleable for easier finishing touch-ups
before final molding.

If the Paraplast is found unsuitable due to the aforementioned concerns,
then there are other things that the school could use it for.  I donated
some old embedding media to my kid's school to make candles and fire
starters that they sold at a school-wide crafts fair as a fund raiser.
Contact me "Off List" for more detail if interested.

~ Ford

Ford M. Royer, MT(ASCP)
Minnesota Medical, Inc.
7177 Madison Ave. W.