[Histonet] Paraplast Plus

Terri Braud tbraud <@t> holyredeemer.com
Thu Feb 1 08:32:50 CST 2007

I'm responding to this from 2 angles.
One, as a Histotech with 30 years exp, and the other as a scupture in Bronze, using the lost wax method for almost as long.
DO NOT!!!!!  use paraplast plus, or any other Histology wax for lost wax casting.  The additional components in the Histology wax are entirely unsuitable for the high temps used to mold, carve and otherwise form the wax piece.
My suggestion for the teacher is to go to the Dick Blick Art Catalogue and order a large supply of French Wax (the red one) which is formulated for that specific use.  25lbs, is very very cheap, and poses no risks to use at high temps.
Terri L. Braud, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supv.
Laboratory, Holy Redeemer Hospital
1648 Huntingdon Pike
Meadowbrook, PA 19046
(215) 938-3689

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Rene J
Buesa
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 5:58 PM
To: GMartin <@t> marshallhospital.org; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Paraplast Plus

Wax is wax is wax.
  René J.

GMartin <@t> marshallhospital.org wrote:
  Does any know if embedding wax (Paraplast Plus) can be used in making
jewelry by the lost wax method. This would not be used paraffin. We had a
flood and several bags of paraffin were damaged ... I don't want to use
them for processing. A local high school teacher would like to use them in
class to make jewelry.
Gary Martin