[Histonet] IHC for VIAS

Victoria Baker bakevictoria <@t> gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 11:07:43 CST 2007

Guerzon,

I had the same thing happen to me when trying to do these panels on
breast tissue.  The biggest problem is the fatty/CT tissue that is
associated with the tissue itself.  After trying some of the same
suggestions others have given you and still not having the best
results we opt'd to first reviewing the H&E, identifying the areas of
interest and coring the block using a dermal punch (they come in
different sizes).  We then air dried the section over night - roughly
18 hours.  An hour in a 56 degree oven was done off of the automated
stainer prior to starting the staining process.   I realize that in
the clinical setting coring a block isn't possible, but scoring the
area(s) on a slide is possible.  If you are interested I can give the
protocol I used to do this.  It is somewhat labor intensive, but it is
somewhere for you to start from.  Breast tissue is very fatty and
unless it is grossed in and processed properly,  the residual water or
fluids remaining in the tissue are what is causing your sections to
come off during the staining process.  By reducing the surface area to
the site in question  you stand a better chance of keeping the area in
question on the slide and also improve the quality of the staining.

Happy Holidays

Vikki Baker