[Histonet] Re: Histonet Digest, Retic jargon

Mark Frei Mark.Frei <@t> sial.com
Tue Dec 4 09:42:55 CST 2007

Just to throw a new wrinkle into the retic nomenclature, I was performing
retic staining (reticulocytes using new methylene blue) in hematology
decades before becoming involved in histology.  Since I dealt with both
disciplines, people talking about "retic" staining caused me some
momentary confusion in the beginning.

Mark Frei   MT(ASCP)
Sigma-Aldrich Corporation
3050 Spruce Street
St. Louis, MO  63103
(314) 286-8080

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 15:38:31 -0500
From: "Monson, Frederick " <FMonson <@t> wcupa.edu>
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: Retic jargon
To: "Renko, Heather D." <Heather.D.Renko <@t> osfhealthcare.org>,

Maresch (1905) was an old dead guy when I was a young guy in 1965 and
working with the "Silver Impregnation for Retiuclin" - by Pearse (1968)
out of Maresch?  Book is gone, and I'm just lingering.

Two historic points.
                 1.  The above impregnation - of only meager vicarious
value -
'showed' fine fibers/fibrils around cells (especially in hematopoietic
tissue) that were generally unstained by other prevailing methods, AND
did NOT 'color' collagen except to a 'light tan'.
                 2.  Even though Watson and Crick presented the model for
DNA in
1953, it did not inhabit many undergraduate classrooms until the
mid-1960's - acknowledging exceptions such as Havahd and Yail.

Thus, even though silver impregnation of reticular fibers, reticulin or
a reticulum is still performed, the procedure does not beat the MAb for
Collagen III.  Although, I must add, a notable MAb for an (human)
elastin epitope proved conclusively (and negatively!) in the mid 1990's
that the rabbit lacked elastin in its urinary bladder despite proof to
the contrary from a widely accepted Gomori's Aldehyde Fuchsin stain.

I still say, if we just stay focused on the significant surgical
importance of dissection vs. disection, we will be far better off in the
long run.  We absolutely must dissuade young medical students from
either enunciating or doing dIsections.

In the domain of the physical sciences, we must pass a law that prevents
anyone who can't pronounce the word 'NUCLEAR', from ever purchasing or
having access to a red telephone.

Cheers,

Fred Monson

Frederick C. Monson, PhD
Technical Director
Microanalysis and Imaging Research and Training Center (MIRTC)
Large Scientific Instrument Core
Geology, West Chester University
S. Church St. and W. Rosedale Ave.
West Chester, PA, 19320
610-738-0437
fmonson <@t> wcupa.edu
New Scheduler:  http://lexspiac.wcupa.edu/cgi-bin/ureserve_gold.pl
Web Page:  http://lexspiac.wcupa.edu

This message and any files transmitted with it are the property of
Sigma-Aldrich Corporation, are confidential, and are intended
solely for the use of the person or entity to whom this e-mail is
addressed. If you are not one of the named recipient(s) or
otherwise have reason to believe that you have received this
message in error, please contact the sender and delete this message
immediately from your computer. Any other use, retention,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited.