[Histonet] RE: Slide Quality

Susan Owens ohenry <@t> dfw.net
Sun Dec 2 13:17:30 CST 2007

There should be a QC chart sent to the Pathologist daily  with someone
selecting a random H & E case..The Pathologist can check  off such things as
stain quality, wrinkles/folds etc....Poor sections should be addressed
whether it interferes with the diagnosis or not.....

There can be a problem within a certain section that makes it's early
impossible for a wrinkle/fold fee selection...BUT, that would not be a daily
issue...I would say any good Histo tech can and should have at least 99.%
wrinkle/fold fee sections.
If wrinkles/folds are routine, then that's a big problem that needs to be
addressed and addressed now.
>>> others input.  I believe any time there is a wrinkle or fold it should
>>> be
>>> documented.

I agree Sandy, BUT don't start a "witch hunt"...If you fine the poor quality
sections coming from the same person(s) then a sit down talk with a walk
down memory lane( as in back to basics) would be in order....Not a burning
on the cross(at least not yet)...

If wrinkles/folds are a big daily issue, then yes document, investigate and
correct the problems..But if your talking about one wrinkle on one slide out
of many slides.....then you can document, but don't go to war over it.....

Susan