[Histonet] microwaves in labs

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Wed Aug 22 09:49:26 CDT 2007

we use a home microwave that has a counter top fume hood over it. We 
calibrate the temp twice a year. While checking the temps, we also check for 
microwave leakage.
Now, here I go again. I have my flame retardant suit on because I can 
already feel the flames coming.
    Some people are saying you have to use a laboratory grade microwave and 
not a home use one. I agree with this statement 100%, if you are processing 
tissue. If you are just using the microwave to perform special stains or the 
occasional heat slides, I don't see the need to spend all that money on a 
lab grade microwave.
    I've been using microwaves for specials for over 20 years and with the 
exception of the rare over heating of Carbol Fuschin (big mess) I've never 
had a microwave blow up. And you have to admit, the microwaves today are a 
lot safer than the ones 20 years ago.

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/CCID/NCZVED)" <jqb7 <@t> CDC.GOV>
To: <Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:58 PM
Subject: [Histonet] microwaves in labs

Hi all:

I'd like to know how many of you out there use non-laboratory grade
microwaves for specials stains.......specifically for heating
methenamine-silver for a GMS. For those that do, are there any safety
issues of which you are aware?

Thanks for your help!

Jeanine Bartlett, BS, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch
1600 Clifton Road, MS/G-32
Atlanta, GA  30333
(404) 639-3590
jeanine.bartlett <@t> cdc.hhs.gov

Histonet mailing list
Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

More information about the Histonet mailing list