[Histonet] beta-tubulin staining of neurites

Kar Ling karling <@t> usc.edu
Tue Aug 14 12:44:09 CDT 2007

I haven't do beta-tubulin staining, but I've done neurofilament staining. I think general procedures apply.
For immunofluorescent staining for neuronal culture, the biggest problem is detachment of neurites.  What I do is to fix them on ice and try not to remove all medium when you change medium.

Start with neuron culture with culture medium

1. (optional step) withdraw half of the medium and replace with warm phosphate buffer saline pH 7.4 (PBS) . Repeat 2 times.
2. withdraw half of PBS and add equal volume of ice-cold 8% paraformaldehyde fixation, 10 min, on ice.
3. Washing with PBS, 5 min, 3 times
4. Blocking with 2% BSA (bovine serum albumin) 0.2% triton-X-100 in PBS, 30 min
5. incubate primary antibody in blocking buffer at 4C, overnite.
6.  Washing with PBS, 5 min, 3 times
7. incubating secondary. (we usually use 1:1000)
8. Washing with PBS, 5 min, 3 times
9. mount and observe.

Karen Ling
University of Southern California