[Histonet] gelatin embedding

MKing making <@t> ufl.edu
Mon Aug 6 08:44:08 CDT 2007

Joshua,
This works pretty well, just be careful about potential interactions
with immuno epitopes, especially near the tissue surface.  Contact me if
you have questions,
Mike King
UF Pharmacology & Therapeutics

Gelatin-Albumin Embedding
modified from  Levin M. A novel immunohistochemical method for
evaluation of antibody specificity and detection of labile targets in
biological tissue. J Biochem Biophys Methods. 2004 Jan 30;58(1):85-96.

22.5  ml PBS
1.1 g gelatin
225 ml dH2O
heat to 60 deg. C., dissolve completely
cool to room temp., add 67.5 g egg albumin (bovine albumin ok),
dissolve, aliquot, store frozen

to use:
thaw, add 420 ul formalin (37% formaldehyde) to 1.5 ml gelatin-albumin,
mix thoroughly.
pour into the bottom of molds over ice and allow to set (> 1 hr.).
mix 2nd batch of formalin (1.5-3 ml for mouse brain) & gelatin-albumin,
take specimen from 30% sucrose PBS, blot with Kimwipe, gently stir in
formalin/gelatin-albumin, pour into mold and orient.  allow to set, then
spatula block out of mold, trim, equilibrate in 30% sucrose PBS, and
section frozen.

210 ul glutaraldehyde can be used instead of formalin, but will react
faster and may impair immunoreactivity more.