[Histonet] Re: stains for myocardial injury

Sebree Linda A. LSebree <@t> uwhealth.org
Wed Aug 1 16:17:31 CDT 2007

Bob,

I used to do HBFP for MIs in the Ordovician Period.  I believe it was
developed at the Mayo clinic in that same era but fell out of favor when
it was determined that one could easily manipulate the outcome to be
positive or negative by the differentiation step.

Linda Sebree, HT(ASCP)
University of Wisconsin Hospital & Clinics
IHC/ISH Laboratory
A4/204-3224
600 Highland Ave.
Madison, WI 53792
(608)265-6596
FAX: (608)262-7174

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 12:58 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: stains for myocardial injury

I remember reading articles about the hematoxylin / basic fuchsin /
picric
acid stain for recently infarcted myocardium, some time late in the
Ordovician
Period I think.

I've never seen one, but there was a question about the stain on the
anatomic
pathology board examination (American Board of Pathology) when I took it
in
November 1971. I remember it because it was the only question on
anything
contemporary that was on the exam.

Gayle Callis, if you post the procedure in electronic form, I'd like to
have
a copy. I can't remember whether it's done from neutral buffered
formalin or
whether it requires a special fixative. The Harris (mercuric oxide)
hematoxylin
could make a difference - it does in the Engel-Cunningham variant of the

Gomori trichrome stain, used for frozen sections of skeletal muscle.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN (actually in Harlan KY this week)