Subject: [Histonet] Enzyme staining Question

Mark Frei Mark.Frei <@t> sial.com
Wed Aug 1 14:30:04 CDT 2007

Hi Judi,

I have found the diazonium-naphthol deposits to be quite stable.  I've
performed cytochemistry assays for many years and the highly colored
deposits of the specific esterase stain don't fade appreciably for months.
  I've even used slides like smears and viewed under oil immersion.  The
mineral oil doesn't seem to react with the stain either.  I just wipe the
excess oil off the slide when finished.  I've come back later and the
stain hasn't faded.  You are correct to use aqueous mounting media. Xylene
based mounting media will cause the stain to fade away pretty quick.  For
those that wish a permanent mounting media, Crystal Mount works well
without fading the stain.

Mark Frei   MT(ASCP)
Sigma-Aldrich Corporation
3050 Spruce Street
St. Louis, MO  63103
(314) 286-8080

Message: 8
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:53:18 -0700
From: "Ford, Judi" <judi.ford <@t> roche.com>
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

Hi Everyone,

First I want to thank you all for the information on the different
stains for the myocardial ischemia. We have a plan to work with now and
alternatives if the pathologist asks for more work.

My next question involves enzyme staining. I am doing a Naphthol AS-D
Chloroacetate Esterase procedure that requires aqueous mounting media.
This may be a dumb question but I was wondering if its better to do the
procedure and examine right away or can the finished slide be examined
at a later (day or two) without any fading artifact happening?